Who haven´t ¨Googled¨ his name before? I bet you did! The big question is did you find your profile on the first page? Where did you name appear? In the alumni list of your University, or your Facebook page, or your Linked In profile, maybe your blog?
Some of you are thinking: why would it matter? Well, when it comes to applying for a job related to Business Administration or to convince someone to invest in your Business Plan it does matter! Those people after screening your CV the first thing they will do is to ¨Google¨ you, and the higher your name in the Google ranking, the easier they find you and make an idea about you. Not finding you might make you suspicious or undesirable as you would be considered "Not well Connected". So yes, you should always assess your online identity and you´d better work on it, so when people search for you it would transmit a good image.
Today, it is not enough to have a well designed and written CV; as well your online identity should be relevant. Last week, I had the chance to attend a lecture about how to have a “Virtual Identity”, in other words how to brand yourself online, and here are some tips:
- LinkedIn is a must, work on your profile, fill it up, write a good summary about your professional experience, goals and specialties. Never lie in your CV about your experience or positions; you will be busted in some way online. ASMALLWORLD, if you´re on it, could be a good source for some recruiters, especially for PR positions. Always try to have good connections
- Facebook is to be monitored. Check your security settings, there’s no need to publish your parties and drunken pictures to the world
- If you have a blog link it to your Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network. If not, think of creating one if you want to have a strong online identity
- Twitter like a blog, could say a lot about you, especially if you´re an active user. For example, if you´re interested to have a job in the Auto Industry, posting news and articles about that specific industry might prove your knowledge
- Slideshare is another tool, upload presentations that you prepare be it for classes or work (if allowed)! This is one of the best proofs of your skills
- And last but not least, broadcast yourself! Youtube or Myspace be it just a video you prepared for a class or you playing the Guitar (only if u can play the guitar :P)
In short do some SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for your name and identity. Try to organically have your name positioned higher when searched. How? Just be present in all online social networks, and try to publish or share relevant information, be it videos, presentations or just thoughts. So don' t forget to digg or share whatever you find interesting ;)
Why is it important? Because nowadays not only celebrities are Googled, everybody is! Think of your online identity as your pass to reach the right people. And as you might be searched, as well check other people online, it can help a lot in finding the right persons to contact.
However, we should admit that not all people are able to manage their online identity (yet) so let’s not judge everybody only according to that.
And you, what do you think?